c

c

Let's Get Social

Inspiration for living a luxuriously and balanced life

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate – Chocolate Thursdays

Chocolate , just hearing the word alone evokes images of luscious taste sensations comparable to no other sweet confection. Since the first cacao bean was cultivated around 250 AD chocolate’s smooth, velvety, creamy texture combined with its intense rich flavor has been seducing men and women for centuries. The Mayans, who established the first known cacao plantations and developed the first recipe for hot chocolate, and the Aztecs, who flavored their chocolate with chili peppers, would be in awe of how far chocolate has evolved to be enjoyed not only by the elite, but all around the world.


Chocolate grows on trees, appearing in its raw state as melon-like pods on the 40-60 foot tall trees known botanically as "Theobroma cacao," which means "food of the Gods." This tropical tree has grown wild in Central America since prehistoric times. It also grows in South America, Africa, and part of Indonesia.

Like “High Tea” and “Afternoon Tea”; the terms Hot Cocao and Hot Chocolate are often used incorrectly. Hot cocoa is made from cocoa powder, which is chocolate pressed free of all its richness, meaning the fat of cocoa butter. Hot chocolate is made from chocolate bars melted into cream. It is a rich decadent drink – often referred to as “drinking” chocolate.

During my recent visit to Paris I had the pleasure of experiencing Angelina, a Salon de Thé, on 226 Rue de Rivoli. The hot chocolate is far from ordinary – the taste is almost beyond words; warm like the sweet nectar from a heavenly chocolate truffle. While there I discovered it open in 1903 under the name Rumpelmeyer and was often frequented by the likes of Marcel Proust and Coco Chanel.

Are you a Hot Cocao or a Hot Chocolate Connoisseur?


See you next Thursday for more Chocolate delights...

images: google search

9 comments:

  1. You're starting a 'Chocolate Thursday'?! O-M-G! Heaven!
    Angelina's is amazing! Can't wait to sip their chocolate Africain again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sound of Chocolate into cream makes my mouth water, I want one now! All I have is a jar of hot chocolate in the cupboard that you just pour hot water on - boring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a huge chocolate lover, I am going to have to try Angelina's, even if it means making a trip to Paris (which I would love to do!!) I would definitely consider chocolate a "food of the Gods" :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmmmmmmm remember that scene in Chocolat when she pours the hot choc - I so wanted to lick my tv lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM... I'm going to go put some in my coffee right now..
    Staci

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wanted to say a quick hi! Love ya. Oh and i am so sad that you had to go through all that! Oh dear!
    Love Chocolate! :0
    Glad you ordered the cards, i loved them too :)
    Have a great day!
    Hugs!
    Frenchy

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG OMG OMG...... chocolate!!!!!

    Hi, my name is.... and I'm a chocoholic!
    But I'm clean for some days... lol lol

    I don't like to eat any chocolate (well I eat but) I like the taste of a good Belgium chocolate.

    Now I'm going to drink some water to make me forget this ;-)

    Love dear
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm...what a delicious post!

    Thank you for your sweet comment on my guest post over at Pink Preppy Lilly Lover today. You have a cute blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoa! I think I need a trip to Paris. Soon. YUM.
    oxoxo
    Denalee

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Know that each one is appreciated and read. Any questions posed in comments in will be responded to via the Reply button below your comment. - Live Life Luxuriously!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...